Taxpayers are Advised to Avoid the Crowds by Paying Early and Using Online or Mail-In Options
Joe Tedder estimates over 22,000 customers will come through their offices the last two weeks of the month, with December being the busiest month of the year for the Tax Collector’s Office. That’s because December 31 is the deadline for mobile home and heavy truck registration renewals, vehicle registrations for owners with December birthdays, as well as for those taking advantage of a 3% property tax discount if paid by the end of December. In addition, office closings due to the holidays will reduce the hours of operation just when driver license customers, many of whom are students out for winter vacation, are seeking permits.
The Tax Collector’s Office reminds taxpayers that they will be closed for the holidays on Friday, December 23, Monday, December 26, and Monday, January 2, 2017. Owners whose vehicle registrations and decals expire at the end of December are encouraged to conduct their renewal transactions by Friday, December 30, and reminded that expired motor vehicle registrations and license plates are subject to law enforcement citations.
To renew vehicle registrations before the end of the month, or to qualify for the 3% property tax discount, motor vehicle and property owners must mail in their payment with a postmark stamped on or before Saturday, December 31, or, make an online payment at www.ClickOrStick.com on or before December 31. (They may also visit one of the Tax Collector’s Service Centers on or before 5:00 PM on Tuesday, January 3 if paying in person.)
This year, taxpayers may also opt to use the same day service, Express Pick-Up, to get their renewal decals the same day, by going online and completing their transaction before arriving at a service center.
To summarize, tax payments may be made in the following ways:
· Pay online: Payments must be made on or before midnight Saturday, December 31, at www.ClickOrStick.com.
· Pay by mail: Payments must be postmarked on or before Saturday, December 31.
· Pay in person: At all service center locations, payments must be received before 5:00 PM, Tuesday, January 3, 2017.
· Same day service via Express Pick-Up: Vehicle registration renewals only, at www.PolkTaxes.com
· Other locations: The American Legion Tag Agency in Winter Haven accepts property tax payments in their drop-box which is accessible during regular business hours.
For more information, go to www.ClickOrStick.com or call the Tax Collector’s Office at (863) 534-4700.