Commercial Truck Registrations & Titles

Timothy Murphy Motorist Services


Generally, those operating commercial trucks (and truck tractors) on Florida’s roadways must register those vehicles in the State of Florida.

Commercial truck registration renewals and license plate renewals may be done by mail, at an authorized Tag Agency, or one of the Tax Collector’s Service Centers. Note: Registration renewals for commercial trucks weighing 26,001 lbs. or more cannot be processed online or at a kiosk.

For authorized Tag Agency or Service Center locations, click here.

To renew by mail, be on the look out for your registration renewal notice! As a courtesy, the Tax Collector’s Office mails renewal notices to commercial truck owners. The courtesy renewal notices are mailed no less than 3 weeks prior to the commercial truck owners birth month (or month in which the renewal is due). The renewal notice includes materials which allow commercial truck owners to more easily renew their registration(s) by mail. Florida law does not require registration renewal notices for commercial truck to be mailed, and failure to receive a courtesy renewal notice by mail does not relieve the commercial truck owner of their responsibility to timely renew their commercial truck registrations and license plates.

Initial vehicle registrations for commercial trucks and tractors may be obtained at one of the Tax Collector’s Service Centers or an approved tag agency. For Service Center and approved tag agency locations, click here.

To renew a registration or obtain an initial vehicle registration for a commercial truck and/or tractor, the following items are required:

  • A registration renewal notice or previously issued registration. (If these are not available, the tag number, title number, or vehicle identification number may provide enough information.)
  • Current proof of Florida property damage liability and personal injury protection insurance, including the insurance company’s name and policy number.

Acceptable forms of proof are as follows:

    • Certificate of Self Insurance issued by FLHSMV
    • Form E, Uniform Motor Carrier Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability
    • Proof of self-insurance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
    • A policy which provides the required coverage
    • Insurance policy binder which provides the required coverage
    • Certificate of insurance issued on insurance form only (must reflect policy number and levels of insurance coverage)
    • Depositing a surety bond with HSMV issued by a surety company authorized to do business in Florida or a combination of a surety bond and insurance policy that satisfies the requirements of section 320.02(5)(e), Florida Statutes

GVW Minimum Insurance Coverage

  • 26,000-34,999 lbs. $50,000 per covered occurrence
  • 35,000-43,999 lbs. $100,000 per covered occurrence
  • 44,000-80,000 lbs. $300,000 per covered occurrence

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax

Vehicles owned 6o days or longer require proof of payment of Heavy Vehicle Use Tax.

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax – Proof of payment or exemption from Federal Heavy Use Tax is required in order to renew a tractor or truck with a GVW of 55,000 lbs. or more. One of the following will be required for proof of payment:

  • Copy of IRS Schedule I, original and a copy of Form 2290, and a copy of the front and back of the canceled check used to pay the tax
  • Copy of IRS Schedule I, original and copy of Form 2290, receipted by IRS
  • Copy of a properly filed IRS Schedule I, Part II, Form 2290 for vehicles over 55,000 lbs. but traveling less than 5,000 miles or an agriculture vehicle traveling less than 7,500 miles

Title Application on a Commercial Vehicle

When seeking to transfer ownership of a commercial truck or tractor you must bring the following to an approved Tag Agency or Service Center location (for location information, click here):

Used Purchase currently titled in Florida:

  • A Florida title, properly completed by the seller; and,
  • A copy of the current registration to be transferred, if applicable.

Used Purchase currently titled in another state:

  • The out-of-state title certificate in your name or assigned to you;
  • An Application for Certificate of Title;
  • If your vehicle is financed – complete lienholder information – including account number, lienholder name and mailing address;
  • A vehicle identification odometer verification form, which must be completed by a law enforcement officer, a Florida notary, a Florida Division of Motor Vehicles compliance examiner, the U.S. Military Police, or a Florida licensed car dealer (Note: Completing Section 7 of the Application for Certificate of Title fulfills this requirement);

New Purchase from an Out of State Dealer:

  • A manufacturers certificate of origin;
  • An Application for Certificate of Title;
  • A bill of sale or invoice listing the purchase price, sales tax paid, and any trade-in allowance (Please note, additional sales tax may be due);
  • A Federal odometer statement;
  • Any applicable lienholder information;

New Purchase from a Florida Dealer:

If you have purchased a commercial truck or tractor (new or used) from a Florida dealership, the dealer is required by law to process the application for title.