Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Verification Requirement
When seeking to title and register an out-of-state automobile in the State of Florida a VIN verification is required for:
All used motor vehicles:
- Motor Homes
Trailers with a weight of 2,000 lbs. or more:
- Utility Trailers weighing 2000 lbs. and more
- Box Trailers weighing 2000 lbs. or more
- Semitrailers weighing 2000 lbs. or more
Also, when seeking to register an automobile that was previously titled out-of-state, a VIN may be required to title the vehicle in Florida.
Note: Vehicles entering Florida from a foreign country must have the VIN verified by a FLHSMV Compliance Examiner/Inspector, including dealer transactions.
VIN Verification Options
To reduce your transaction time, complete the verification form prior to visiting a Tax Collector’s Service Center or an approved Tag Agency (for location information, click here). Please access the FLHSMV’s Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification Form (HSMV 82042) and use one of the options listed below:
- A law enforcement or military police officer from any state
- A motor vehicle dealer licensed by the State of Florida
- A Florida Notary Public click here
Note: Tax Collector ‘s Service Center staff is able to complete vehicle identification number (VIN) verifications, weather permitting, however your transaction time may be longer due to performing the VIN Verification.
When VIN Verifications are NOT Required
- New motor vehicles that have never been titled, regardless of whether purchased in Florida or out of state
- Mobile homes
- Trailer-type recreational vehicles
- Travel trailers
- Camp trailers
- Truck campers
- Fifth wheel recreational trailers
- Trailers and semitrailers with a weight of less than 2,000 lbs.
- Vehicles currently titled in Florida