ATTENTION: Appointments are required for all Driver License transactions conducted in a Tax Collector’s Service Center (including Written Exams and Road Tests).
New Driver License Information
Note: Those who are 17 years of age or younger, please visit the Teen Driver Information page, just click here.
If you are 18 years of age or older, all of the following requirements must be met in order to obtain a Driver License:
- Before your Written Exam appointment, complete the FLHSMV-approved Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course. To view this traffic course information, click here.
- Pass the Written Exam (Knowledge Exam). Written Exams are conducted at specified Tax Collector’s Service Centers, are limited to one-time per day, and are offered by appointment only. To make an appointment, click here.
- Having passed the Written Exam, the applicant must then pass a Road Test (Driving Skills Exam), which is administered by appointment only. (Applicants should not schedule a Road Test until after they have passed a Written Exam!) Click on a link below for appointment options:
- Polk County Approved Driving Skills Exam Provider: Atlantic Driving School, 905 6th Street NW, Winter Haven, FL 33881. For additional convenience, Atlantic Driving School also provides road tests after 5 P.M. and on Saturdays.
- Polk County Approved Driving Skills Exam Provider: All Class Drivers, 2219 W. Memorial Blvd., Lakeland, FL 33815.
- To see other Driving Skills Providers approved elsewhere in Florida, click here.
- Tax Collector for Polk County (For those needing a translator in order to take a road test, we recommend they bring a translator to our office in order to provide accurate and faster service.)
At the time of your Written Exam appointment, bring the following documents with you:
1. Proof of Legal Status – One of the Following:
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (with a raised seal), which includes states, territories, or District of Columbia (A certificate of Live Birth or Hospital Record of Birth is not acceptable)
- Valid U.S. Passport
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
2. Name Change Verification Document (if applicable):
- Original or certified copy of all marriage certificates or court orders that show name change(s). (Uncertified photocopies are not valid.)
3. Social Security Document:
- One of the following original documents for proof of your Social Security Number:
- Social Security Card
- W-2 Form from the Internal Revenue Service
- Pay stub showing Name
- Immigrants and non-immigrants: Supply same proof as U.S. citizens for Social Security Number when issued, otherwise provide a copy of Form SSN SSA-1099. For more information the SSA-1099 Form, contact the Social Security Administration.
4. Proof of Residential Address – Two Proofs Needed – Examples Provided Below:
- Rental agreement
- Utility bill, hookup, or work order not more than two months old
- Financial institution statement, not more than two months old
- Medical or health card with address listed
- Individuals who cannot provide two documents should complete a FLHSMV Certification of Address Form
Note: A vision test will also be administered once in office.