Driver License & ID Card Renewals, Vehicle Titles

New Florida Resident Information

Chris Rudolph Motorist Services

ATTENTION: Appointments are required for all Driver License transactions conducted in a Tax Collector’s Service Center (including Driver Licenses, ID Cards, Commercial Driver Licenses, Reinstatements, Written Exams, and Road Tests).

To make an appointment, click here.

Note: New residents having a valid out-of-state driver license who are seeking a Florida Driver License should present their current out-of-state driver license at the time of their appointment in one of the Tax Collector’s Service Centers.

The following items are needed to obtain a Florida Driver License or ID Card:

1. Proof of Legal Status One of the Following:

  • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (with a raised seal), which includes states, territories, or District of Columbia (A certificate of Live Birth or Hospital Record of Birth is not acceptable)
  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad

2. Name Change Verification Document (if applicable):

  • Original or certified copy of all marriage certificates or court orders that show name change(s). (Uncertified photocopies are not valid.)

3. Social Security Document:

  • One of the following original documents for proof of your Social Security Number:
  • Social Security Card
  • W-2 Form from the Internal Revenue Service
  • Pay stub showing Name
  • Immigrants and non-immigrants: Supply same proof as U.S. citizens for Social Security Number when issued, otherwise provide a copy of Form SSN SSA-1099. For more information the SSA-1099 Form, contact the Social Security Administration.

4. Proof of Residential Address  Two Proofs Needed  Examples Provided Below:

  • Deed
  • Mortgage
  • Rental agreement
  • Utility bill, hookup, or work order not more than two months old
  • Financial institution statement, not more than two months old
  • Medical or health card with address listed
  • Individuals who cannot provide two documents should complete a  FLHSMV Certification of Address Form, available in English or Spanish.

“V” Designations on Driver Licenses & ID Cards  

  • Veterans who reside in Florida can add a veteran designation or “V” their driver license or ID card. To add the “V” to a license or ID card, veterans should make an appointment to visit a Tax Collector’s Service Center. Veterans seeking a “V” designation should be prepared to present proof of service, including one of the following documents: DD Form 214, Veteran Identification Card, or VA FL24-323 Letter. Note: Veterans who need to obtain a copy of their DD-214 may request it through the National Archives.
Original, Renewal, or Replacement with the “V” Designation $6.25

Note: Florida does not reciprocate a motorcycle endorsement from Alabama. Also, commercial driver licenses (CDL) from U.S. Territories and Possessions may not be reciprocated and all change state-of-record applicants seeking Hazmat and Endorsed Florida CDL are required to pass a new Hazardous Material knowledge exam, regardless of any testing done in a previous state.