ATTENTION: Appointments are required for all Driver License transactions conducted in a Tax Collector’s Service Center (including Driver Licenses, ID Cards, Commercial Driver Licenses, Reinstatements, Written Exams, and Road Tests).
To make an appointment, click here.
Note: New residents having a valid out-of-state driver license who are seeking a Florida Driver License should present their current out-of-state driver license at the time of their appointment in one of the Tax Collector’s Service Centers.
The following items are needed to obtain a Florida Driver License or ID Card:
1. Proof of Legal Status – One of the Following:
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (with a raised seal), which includes states, territories, or District of Columbia (A certificate of Live Birth or Hospital Record of Birth is not acceptable)
- Valid U.S. Passport
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
2. Name Change Verification Document (if applicable):
- Original or certified copy of all marriage certificates or court orders that show name change(s). (Uncertified photocopies are not valid.)
3. Social Security Document:
- One of the following original documents for proof of your Social Security Number:
- Social Security Card
- W-2 Form from the Internal Revenue Service
- Pay stub showing Name
- Immigrants and non-immigrants: Supply same proof as U.S. citizens for Social Security Number when issued, otherwise provide a copy of Form SSN SSA-1099. For more information the SSA-1099 Form, contact the Social Security Administration.
4. Proof of Residential Address – Two Proofs Needed – Examples Provided Below:
- Rental agreement
- Utility bill, hookup, or work order not more than two months old
- Financial institution statement, not more than two months old
- Medical or health card with address listed
- Individuals who cannot provide two documents should complete a FLHSMV Certification of Address Form
Note: Florida does not reciprocate a motorcycle endorsement from Alabama. Also, commercial driver licenses (CDL) from U.S. Territories and Possessions may not be reciprocated and all change state-of-record applicants seeking Hazmat and Endorsed Florida CDL are required to pass a new Hazardous Material knowledge exam, regardless of any testing done in a previous state.